Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hail to the Queen! Her legacy lives although she no longer breathes.

On September 13th, at 8 pm, Lifetime will be airing a special movie telling the life story of the most important figure in in the history of 20th-century fashion--Coco Chanel.



Coco Chanel has undoubtedly been the biggest influence on haute couture. Her pioneering, menswear-inspired fashions created a classic look that has never gone out of style. To this day, you will still find women wearing her original suits, accessorized by the trademark costume-pearl necklaces Chanel always paired the suits with. And to this day, that look has never been out. And who can forget her signature fragrance, Chanel, No. 5? That perfume was created in 1921, and 67 years later still graces the wrists, necks, and that sensitive area behind the knee (I hope you women paid attention to what I said because that's where women should be placing their perfume FYI), of women around the world.

I am a bit excited that this movie is coming out. I have always looked to Coco Chanel's legacy as an example of true style. True haute couture should not be the bells and whistles of some of these design houses. "A woman is closest to being naked when she is well dressed." Granted, couture is art. However, there is some art that you can display for all to see--elegant, beautiful, and timeless--and then there is some art that you keep in a private collection because it is too bold, confusing, and generally offensive in a way that should not be displayed in your home, only a museum or art gallery. Chanel is elegant and timeless. Every piece was created to be worn...not just appreciated for it's artistic value. Chanel used to say, "simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance." There's no better way to describe style.

You know, writing that little quote made me think of just how much Chanel has influenced my fashion choices when I advice others. Before I left Macon, Cania and I were going to the End of the Session Banquet for NCDC. Cania called me and asked me to come over and help her pick out an outfit for her to wear. She pulled out a pants number that was okay by my tastes, but not great. So, I paired the top with a nice skirt, and left the pants out as an option. Since I didn't like the pants with the top, Cania asked what she should pair with them then that would be more fashionable. The first thing that came to mind was to find a nice boxy, shoulder-padded suit jacket, a camisole, and a long string of pearls. And, of course, closed-toed shoes for business, open-toed for evening cocktail hour. Classic Chanel, and it never even occurred to me that was what I was doing. It just looked elegant and beautiful. Maybe every woman reading this should make sure they have that outfit in their wardrobe. It's timeless. Don't forget you need a nice clutch purse for this look, and a wealthy stockbroker on your arm. ;-)

This blog is not meant to be a style advisory, although there a couple of inserts in here that you should definitely add to your list of style tips. As I have said many times, style is about simplicity. And in that spirit, I have one more Coco Chanel adage: "When accessorizing, always take off the last thing you put on." There are so many more things she has imparted on the fashion community, but I wouldn't want to cram all of it into this one blog. This blog is simply to entice all of you to watch this Lifetime movie, and appreciate the woman who revolutionized women's couture. I'm sure I'll have more of her tips as this blog continues. In the meantime, I'm gonna sit down, pour myself a vodka martini--shaken, not stirred (because shaken is better for vodka...gin martinis must be stirred or you bruise the gin)--and enjoy my own newly purchased fashions. By the way, this season is all about retro 60's fashions...slim lines, layers, dress shoes and pants. This was one of my favorite decades for clothes. It's nice to see a new take on the old standard.

As always: here's to style. Cheers!

No comments: