Monday, November 24, 2008

All Sizes Do Not Fit One

Meet Thom Browne ... fashion designer/anarchist. I say anarchist because what he is doing to fashion is not innovative by any means in my book. It is an overthrow of the most basic ideas of style. And the fashion community is eating it up. His suits have even attracted the attention of "The Bible." Yes, y'all ... GQ has now featured him in their latest issue. Not only did I find his suits featured as a hot new item, His suit even appeared in a section of the magazine where they photograph everyday people walking around. So, there is at least one person in the world who walked down the street in this ill-fitted suit with no socks. What is wrong with this picture?

I am all for revolutionizing style, and creating new and interesting looks. But this is a suit that in no way fits a man's body. High-hemmed pants, tightly-tailored jackets. You're spending thousands of dollars to look like you grew and extra foot or so overnight. Remember the movie "Big"? This is what it looks like summarized in clothing. I don't get it.

Is this what we've come to now? The only way to be creative in fashion is to look as tacky and unpolished as you can possibly manage. It is one thing to play with gender roles in clothes, it is quite another to cram yourself into a Steve Urkel's pants.

I will compliment his choices as far as the overall look. If you look at some of his clothes that have hit the runway, they are very creative, and I love the overall look. I would certainly find his suits more appealing if they just fit the body better.


This look with the half-cut jacket is very good. That is artistic and creative: the pants become the rest of the suit jacket. That is something worth parading on runway. But Pee Wee Herman cuts for clothing? Shouldn't be vogue. And yet, the fashion world eats it up. I guess fashion has been so deadly safe for years to the point where anything shocking is gold, even if it's the wrong kind of shocking.
Well, welcome to Thom Browne's high-hemmed suits. They have gone from catwalk to sidewalk. I just hope they stay off my block.

Here's to style. Cheers!

No comments: