Tuesday, January 6, 2009

GQ-Suit-Lookin' Boy

I am glad that everyone enjoyed my last blog with a live model. It was a new thing I thought I would try so that you can see the real deal fashion ... live and in person.

I have a new present for you: another live model. Unfortunately, it hasn't been a female yet, but I think we can all agree that men need the most work with clothes anyway. So, my roommate Michael will be my model today as I dredge up an old blog. We all remember my blog many months ago on finding the perfect suit for men.

In my September blog, "Most men's suits just don't suit me ...," I provided some simple rules to turn any man into a GQ man. At the time, I didn't include photos in all my blogs so that you could see what I'm talking about. Now, thanks to my model, I have something to show you all.

I just happened to be walking upstairs to my room when Michael walked out of his room to the bathroom to check out his suit. He recently purchased a suit at Bloomingdale's and had it tailored there. The suit caught my eye, and it was perfectly tailored for him. I was impressed. So much so that I snapped a couple of shots for a sequel blog.

To refresh your memory ( for those of you who will not go back to read the entire blog), here's a summary of the tips I gave:

1. Fabric
There are only three basic fabrics to choose from, so no need to go any farther unless you are an advanced dresser--wool, polyester, and cotton (yes, there are cotton suits being made).

2. Pants
The waistline of your pants needs to be at a comfortable fit. Pants should sit comfortably on the waist, just above the hips. As far as the hem of your pants, pant length should reach the heel in back and allow for a break in the front.

3. Shirt
The sleeve length needs to be exact. Stop wearing shirts too big for you. Remember that this is your "good suit." Everything should fit just right.

4. Jacket
The suit’s jacket needs to fit easily across your stomach in order to appear professional. It should not be overly tight, but rather allow for some play when the jacket is buttoned. A two-button suit is an American classic.

5. Colors
Black, charcoal, gray, midnight blue, brown, tan, slate, do you see where I'm going guys? These are colors that work. This suit must be multi-functional.

Now, taking all these tips as a whole, let's take a look at how it works in real practice. Here's Michael:

And here's to style. Cheers!

No comments: