Sunday, April 5, 2009

Gentlemen's Couture ... Anything Women Can Wear, We Can Wear Better

"Anything you can do, I can do better. I can do anything better than you ... Anything you can be, I can be greater. Sooner or later, I'm greater than you."

Welcome back kids! Yes, I know. Oliver B. has been missing in action for quite some time. In my defense, fashion has really been predictable lately, and I haven't been as inspired as I usually am. Jewel tones are still hot; chunky jewelry is still hot; patent leather is still hot. I can only comment about it so much before I am as repetitive as the fashions are. So, I needed time to find my inspiration. I am happy to report that I have found it. I call it Gentlemen's Couture. It is the hautest trend going on right now. You've seen it on the Jonas Brothers (who I think are the best fashion forward males I have seen in a long time), and even Justin Timberlake (who has made the top ten most stylish list in the Bible, GQ). The classic styles of a GQ man, vamped up for the modern androgynous high fashion runways, and paraded on the sidewalks of urban cities. I love it! The more we blur the lines between the gender fashions, the better fashion becomes.

Just take a look at what's hitting the runways these days. Isn't it all fierce? The lines are clearly designed like women's clothing, but there is still a manly quality to it.
Just enough girl to be fashionable. I must say that the white jacket on the second model is right up my alley. And the bag on the last model is a glamour choice as well. Good stuff I tell you.
It is the modern male. The metrosexuals have paved the way for quality products in men's clothing. I remember the days when all we had were basic Levi's and suits. How the world has changed, huh? Now more and more lines are designing better clothing for men than women. Has the power shifted in fashion? Do the men dominate now? I have read in magazines such as Women's Wear Daily that more women are venturing to the men's sections of store for better bags, jewelry, and even clothes. The intricate details on clothes are found more in the men's lines than women's. I've notice that women's clothing is now bordering on the overly flashy, tacky, "Jersey" look I always hated. Poor women. Sucks to be you right now, right?
I guess that's all I really have for you right now. Just a quick little blog to let you all know I'm alive and keeping my eyes on the trends. But remember, my blogs are not about trendy, it's about stylish. I report a few flukes here and there that jump out at me, but overall I want my readers to learn what it means to have style, not be trendy. After all, fun fur was trendy once, but pearls are stylish. See the difference?
It's good to be back people. Here's to style. Cheers!