Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ugly Is In The Ties Of The Holders


It's a new week, and Oliver B. is presenting this week's Ugly Tie Wednesday. As I said last week, my coworkers have decided to wear ugly ties on Wednesdays, and have a little contest on who has the ugliest tie. This week the participants were going for goal, and some succeeded in presenting truly ugly (and non-salvageable) ties. Let's take a look at our contestants individually ...


Now, each week I will be posting the contestants of Ugly Tie Wednesday, and I will let my readers choose which tie is the ugliest, and indicate which ties can be saved and used in fashionable looks. I will be making my picks as well.

So, this week, the winner is the black background, loud print tie. If you all can see it, the pattern looks like stained-glass windows on churches. It is hideous. I was appalled at what I saw in person. I would suggest a runner up (should the winner not be able to fulfill his duties in the championship competition that we will have later) as the paint splotch tie. It looks like paint just fell on it ... I hate it.

I do think at least one tie can be saved. That would be the brown skinny tie (which looks like an all black tie, but it was actually brown). That tie is a relic of the 60's and 70's, but it has made a comeback on the fashion scene (I've seen it in more Hamptons America styles like Ralph Lauren). Some garments are less about the fabric and more about the overall textures. If you're wearing a lot of smooth lines, this rough, woven tie provides a great texture contrast. You should only do this with one piece in the wardrobe, whether it is a tie or a sweater vest, but not both. Mix it up a bit ... integrate textures. I personally liked that tie, and would wear it, so it's not an ugly tie.

And this my friends is the Ugly Tie Wednesday contest. Feel free to add your input and make your selections on the winners and savers. I will be sharing your thoughts with my coworkers each week. So, be sure to check back here every Wednesday for the latest entries. Oh God, I'm actually supporting ugly ties on my blog ... I need a drink.

Here's to style. Cheers!

2 comments:

Holly said...

i vote the stain glass tie. someone actually made it thinking it looked good. past that my mind isn't functioning enough to comment more right now.

Meghan said...

Tie number 1 is by far the ugliest! It almost makes me want to vomit just looking at it. Tie number 5 is a close second though! The rest are salvageable.