Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Ghosts of Old Hollywood Return ... Again ...

As I opened my March issue of Vogue, I came across this marvelous Dior ad. I have always been a fan of Christian Dior. And now I'm even more of a fan because of these ads. Oliver B. has been truly starved of beauty in the recent issues of many fashion magazines. Everything has become so futuristic, cold, structural ... mechanical. Where is the beauty? I need beauty! And now I have it. Just look at this wonderful ad from Dior. It is definitely a blast from Hollywood's past. A wonderful throwback to old Hollywood glamor. If you pay attention to the ad the model is styles a lot like Lauren Bacall.

What I enjoy about this ad is a reminder of femininity that used to exist in our world. Don't get my wrong, I'm all about Sasha being Fierce, and divas being the female version of a hustler, and women who want to play a LoveGame or two, but I also enjoy some feminine glam. The days where a woman had class and sophistication, and a grace that today you may only find in black-and-white films. I miss that in women. I am grateful that the fashion houses are ready to celebrate glamor again ... and beauty. I was starting to see too much glamor and not enough drama. Oliver B. needs drama!

Christian Dior is not the only house celebrating Old Hollywood. Armani has an ad featuring beautiful long pants, reminiscent of Katharine Hepburn (who made women wearing pants fashionable at a time when all women wore dresses. St. John also has a little black dress that screams Meet me later for drinks, Mr. Gable. The list goes on ... the March Vogue issue is filled with beautiful clothes that scream of an era where women were women, and men were men. It's amazing how far we fell during our revolution of fashion, and how quickly we retreat every few years to old Hollywood to remind ourselves that we still need those beautiful dramatic garments of a oft-forgotten era.

If you ever need an example of the retreat, just look at several of the gowns worn by the stars at this year's Academy Awards. The sharp lines of last season's couture have been shaved down to curves. Now we want clothes that tell a story rather than summarize one. Didn't those sharp lines just seem to cut you off mid-sentence when describing them? I miss details, and gaudy jewelry that was offensively large. Insult me with your bold & beautiful wares ... I can take it.

Here's to style ... and to Old Hollywood. Cheers!

2 comments:

Holly said...

This is definitely very very lauren becall. I love that style. Your right it had such class and sophistication. that said don't mess with me i can take you down without chipping a nail and look good while doing it. aaahhhh to have such grace and style

Oliver B. Styles said...

It is attainable. Remember that in those days these women were not always born this graceful, they were created. In those days the studio did everything : etiquette lessons, styling, hair, make-up, dental surgery, whatever it took to build a star. Now any old Lindsay Lohan can get out of a car panty-less and have photos on the internet in 30 seconds. Graceless hags is all these bitches are nowadays.