Monday, September 15, 2008

Just A Quick Round of Applause

Someone was saying today that America's Next Top Model needs to go. I had to wholeheartedly disagree with her. While we all have our little annoyances with Tyra Banks, I can't say I would want the show to go. The main reason, if I ever doubted the shows relevance to high fashion, haute couture modeling, is this photo from the second week:


Meet Lauren Brie. Last week, this girl was at the bottom of the pack with her photo. She just didn't quite have it yet. This week, after some coaching, she cranked out what has been dubbed by all of the judges as the best photo ever in ANTM history. And I would certainly agree. From the "broken arm" pose, to the angry attitude of her face, to the amazing position of her legs, this shot is platinum. I've never seen one like it before. This photo actually tops Eva's shot from Cycle 3, and you all know how much I loved Eva the Diva.

Regardless of Tyra Banks' consistency in making everything about herself, she is cranking out girls who bring some integrity back into modeling. She is bringing back the models who learned their industry, learned their craft, and excelled at it, rather than just look pretty and snort up everything you make. These girls are learning to be businesswomen. Even though their job is to look pretty, there's a difference in "model pretty" that most models don't understand, and that's why they continue to struggle for fame. Think of Tyra as the Mercer Law School of the fashion world. She is teaching these girls how to "practice" modeling so that they will hit the ground running. I have to respect that.

And the results? Just look above ... flawless!

Here's to style. Cheers!

(*** I do hope you notice that I drink a lot where fashion is concerned. It's just so stressful to teach you all to be stunning. Ah well, bottoms up.***)

No comments: