Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pink Posse? Think Pu**y

The Pink shirt ... the most tragic piece of fashion to ever come off the lines at any sweat shop in Honduras. I mean these kids work for $0.45 a hour, can't they at least be proud of what they're making? Why, oh why did this color have to show up for a grown man?
As many of you know, I have a serious grievance against any grown man wearing pink. Actually, I would say after 13 (when boys and girls start actually start developing serious differences....namely hair growth) a male should no longer have feminine colors in his wardrobe like this. Pink, light yellow, light purple, general pastels and Easter colors....NO NO NO!
I understand that manhood is being redefined, and softer man is coming to life. But seriously guys, do you have to be so soft you move into limp-wristedly flaccid? Yeah....I said it. I had to make up a whole new word to describe this crap. And it's not just this shade of pink that must go....all shades (salmon, whatever you call it to convince yourself you aren't wearing pink). I have heard everyone try to justify a man wearing this color. Let it go. That dog just ain't gonna hunt folks.
People ... get it together. Let us find other shades of color in our wardrobe. Even the hottest man will not make this look good. Because really, when you see a hot guy in a pink shirt, are you saying he looks good in that shirt, or that he just looks good, OR that he would look good without that pink shirt on ... he should take that off? Yeah I thought so.
I am taking a stand on this like I took a stand on flip-flops. This isn't fashion. It isn't style. It's just plain tragic. I will not condone pink on a grown man. I will not Sam I am. At the end of the day it looks like Japanese baby doll fashion. And if any of you have seen that, you will understand why I target pink wearers. It's no different in my eyes. It's okay when you're young and don't know any better. But at a certain age, you let childish things go. The problem with our society now is that we are holding onto it. 30 and 40 year old men still play video games. They still go to clubs to pick up "chicks" or "hot girls." It's a reflection of how pathetic and juvenile men have become. They continue to be Peter Pan...forever a child. Their clothes even reflect it. Where are men? Throw down your pink shirts, join the grown-up world. Maybe if we're all lucky, the other childish things men continue to do in older ages will fall behind too.
Every once in a while I relate a fashion concept to societal norms. Bare with me. Eventually you'll find that clothing reflects society. And in some cases, dictates it. Take a look back at history and you'll see it for yourself. So, bare with me when my commentary dives into a societal piece.
A toast: to leaving behind childish ways. Starting with pink shirts. I'll definitely drink to that.
Here's to style. Cheers!

No comments: