Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Victor / Victoria: Fall 2008 Menswear

IT HAS FINALLY HAPPENED. It started with CK One, the unisex fragrance. Then, with the American embrace of Euro club fashions, we entered a land where men could share clothes with their woman. We let metrosexuality take over. It has all come down to the final assimilation of masculinity into the feminine world.

Welcome to the newest in men's fashion -- women's fashion transposed onto men. Check out the Fall 2008 Menwear Magazine. You will find a wonderful article on the latest fall wears for men. These lovely pieces include a beautifully detailed Versace shearling and leather coat, cashmere scarves, rug-embroidered hoods that resemble a woman's wrap, and a Prada Trench with a very a neckline that is only suited to show off a woman's cleavage.

I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised by it. Then again, the whole point of a collection is to shock a bit. This year, the hottest trend in women's fashion is Menswear. Women are wearing menswear-inspired fashions. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? So, here we are. Men are wearing Womenswear.

This season, Fendi has even sent their men out on the runway with purses and clutches. Fashion has gone to the women. And I actually like it. Don't think I'm crazy. I don't like the pieces that have been created, but I do think it's time to move in this direction. There are some things in Womenswear that I have wanted to see translated to menswear. Let's take a little looksie, shall we?













Do you love it? I do. I'm not a fan of the fur so much. But I can live it. The overall message is that fashion can cross genders. Gender really is an illusion most times. It should be with clothes. I am certainly enjoying the new lines.

Many of you will probably say the new styles have gone too far. For shame! Embrace these looks. You don not have to repeat them exactly. But don't be afraid that something looks "too girly" for you to wear. A strong man can pull this off flawlessly. Are you man enough to fem it up? I say we toast to the success of the gender-bending menswear, and hope it continues to the look I've envisioned for years.

Here's to style. Cheers!

No comments: